Board Policy Workshop
Board policy workshop scheduled for Monday, July 24
The Omaha Public Power District Board of Directors conducted a public workshop regarding the district’s strategic directives and other board policies on Monday, July 24, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the University of Omaha Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center, Room 201. The event was open for the public to attend, though public commentary will not be taken at the event. The Board of Directors encouraged feedback to be submitted via the link provided by July 23. There will also be opportunities for public commentary on the policies during Board meetings following the workshop.
Review OPPD’s Board Policies and provide feedback
OPPD’s board policies consist of three categories, all designed to help optimize decision-making and clarify the following:
- Welcome by Board Chair & CEO
- Agenda Overview
8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
The Principles of Policy Governance
- Discuss foundational principles of effective Board governance (Presenter: Eric Douglas, Leading Resources, Inc., Board Governance Initiative)
- Solidify consensus on principles (Presenter: Eric Douglas, Leading Resources, Inc., OPPD Governance Assessment)
- Discuss assessment of the Board’s practices
8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
Refine Governance Processes
- Discuss current processes and potential refinements
- Build consensus on changes
- Define action steps
10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
11:30 p.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Work on Strategic Policies
- Model an approach to work collaboratively to discuss and refine the Strategic Direction policies.
- For each selected policy, discuss Board members’ goals, broaden understanding around current context and future trends, brainstorm options, and decide on next steps
12:15 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Summary of next steps
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.